The Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board officially came into existence in July 1998, following the adoption of a bill by the Government of Quebéc to establish linguistic school boards throughout the province of Québec. English schools from eight school boards were amalgamated to form the new Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Laurenval School Board, Laurentian School Board and Laurentienne School Trustees were merged, and the English sector of the other school boards of the Laval, Laurentides and Lanaudière administrative regions joined to form the new administrative entity.
Sir Wilfrid Laurier
The name of the school board was chosen following consultation among schools, parents, students and employees in January 1998.
Sir Wilfrid Laurier was born in St-Lin-des-Laurentides, a town located on the actual school board territory in 1841. After a few years at the local elementary school, Laurier was sent to nearby New Glascow to learn English. He later spent seven years at a Roman Catholic college and studied law at McGill University in Montreal.
In 1896 Laurier became Canada's first francophone Prime Minister. National unity was of supreme importance to Laurier. He sought to reconcile the interests of French and English Canada with his policies. His fifteen years as Prime Minister were distinguished with unprecedented growth and prosperity.
New Logo adopted by the Council of Commissioners in June, 2006
The previous logo had blue and dusty rose rectangles represent the Catholic and Protestant systems which merged to form the new board; the "W" serves to bind them together and, by the openness of the letter, shows respect for the diversity and tradition of the two systems; the circle within each rectangle represents the students who are seen reading a book (or at their work stations). The rectangle is solid in colour; however, the "W" has shadings representing the cultural and ethnic pluralism of the community.